Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cooking with homemade pumpkin puree

Oh my gosh! Time flies when you're having fun! I meant to publish this post within a day or two of writing about our homemade doggie treat adventure, but time just got away from me. And now that I've been sufficiently chastised by more than one person for not being quick enough about it, I'm committed to publishing this before I head to bed tonight! (Thanks for the prod, Angie & Steve-O.) :)

Because I've been making a serious effort to bring fewer processed foods into our home this year, I was determined to finally try making my own pumpkin puree this fall, rather than buying the super-convenient canned pumpkin like I've always done. (And I needed material for my blog. Hahaha)

I googled a few different options for making pumpkin puree and ended up with this approach:



  1. Buy two small sugar - or pie - pumpkins. 
  2. Using a large, sturdy knife, cut the stem straight off. 
  3. Then halve the pumpkins from the top down and scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Rinse off the seeds and save them for roasting separately. 
  4. Place pumpkins cut side down on a large, edged baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. 
  5. Let cool slightly and then carefully remove the skins, using tongs or a fork if needed. The skins will peel right off. 
  6. Transfer the cooked pumpkin to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.

My two pumpkins produced about 7-8 cups of puree.

Please do this. I implore you. It's so, so simple, and you're not eating all those preservatives from the canned stuff. Plus, the best part is that your whole house will smell like Thanksgiving. It's not a spice smell, not a turkey smell, not even really a PUMPKIN smell...I can't even describe it. It's just the smell of Thanksgiving and warmth and good things on the table. Do it. Make your own pumpkin puree. And then make these dogs treats.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff usually makes the pies in our house, but I have some other bread/muffin recipes that use pumpkin puree. I wondered how much to expect from pie pumpkins because they always seem so small. The kids are going to paint theirs first for Halloween and then I'll bake them. Do you think the puree will freeze well until Thanksgiving? I can't speak for others, but I enjoy pumpkin year round, so if the first batch turns out well, maybe we'll get some more pumpkins and freeze the puree for later.

    ReplyDelete